Outcome of Probing and Syringing in Congenital Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction in Children Under Local Anesthesia

  • Nusrat Sharif Al-Shifa Trust Eye Hospital, Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Muhammad Sajid Munir Niazi Medical & Dental College, Sargodha Pakistan
  • Muhammad Arshad Bahawal Victoria Hospital, Bahawalpur Pakistan
  • Shahid Nazir Pak Red Crescent Medical & Dental College, Kasur Pakistan
  • Muhammad Usman Sadiq Mohi-ud-Din Islamic Medical College, Mirpur, Azad Jammu Kashmir, Pakistan
  • Rabya Rehman Sargodha Medical College, Sargodha Pakistan
Keywords: Congenital Nasolacrimal duct obstruction, Dacryo-cystorhinostomy, Lacrimal probe, Local anesthesia, Epiphora, probing, Syringing

Abstract

Objectives: To evaluate the success rate of probing and syringing for congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction in children under local anaesthesia.

Study Design: Cross-sectional study.

Place and Duration of Study: Ophthalmology Department, Niazi Medical Dental College, Sargodha Pakistan, from Jul 2018 to Dec 2019

Methodology: Forty-five children were included in the study, of which five had bilateral epiphora. Children of 8-12 months of age were included in this study. Probing and syringing were done under topical local anaesthesia. In this study, special modified straight 25D lacrimal probe cannula was used. Post-operative steroids and antibiotics were given to all the children for two weeks.

Results: Forty Children (45 Eyes) of 8-12 months of age (less than one year) were included in this study. Single successful probing was achieved in 40 eyes (88.88%). Probing was repeated in five cases. Repeated successful probing was achieved in 3 eyes (60%) as the remaining two eyes (40%) where success was not achieved had a bone abnormality which needed an ENT examination and further intervention like Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) with close intubation.

Conclusion: Topical local anaesthesia is a good alternative to general anaesthesia as it is not available, particularly in remote areas of Pakistan. It saves the children from the hazards of general anaesthesia and is a good choice for children who are not fit for general anaesthesia.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2022-09-07
How to Cite
Sharif, N., Munir, M. S., Arshad, M., Nazir, S., Sadiq, M. U., & Rehman, R. (2022). Outcome of Probing and Syringing in Congenital Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction in Children Under Local Anesthesia. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal (PAFMJ), 72(4), 1415-19. https://doi.org/10.51253/pafmj.v72i4.8160
Section
Original Articles