PATTERN AND DEMOGRAPHIC OF FIREARM DEATHS IN RAWALPINDI AND ISLAMABAD, AN AUTOPSY BASED STUDY

  • Sabika Hussain Fazaia Medical College, Islamabad Pakistan
  • Zilla-Huma Mustehsan Fazaia Medical College, Islamabad Pakistan
  • Sadia Syed Al Nafees Medical College, Islamabad Pakistan
  • Mahwish Zeb Women Medical and Dental College, Abbottabad Pakistan
  • Javeria Omer Fazaia Medical College, Islamabad Pakistan
  • Rubina Riaz Fazaia Medical College, Islamabad Pakistan
Keywords: Autopsy, Cause of death, Homicide, Suicide, Unnatural deaths

Abstract

Objective: To find out the pattern of firearm deaths including it’s manner and demographical aspects in Islamabad and to see institutions, administrations and planning authorities are taking remedial steps to reduce firearm deaths comprising of the most of the unnatural deaths in a society.

Study Design: Cross-sectional study.

Place and Duration of Study: Federal Government Polyclinic Hospital Islamabad, Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital Islamabad and District Headquarter Hospital, Rawalpindi, from Sep 2018 to Mar 2019.

Methodology: The data was collected from the autopsy records of the mortuaries of the above mentioned hospitals of total 248 autopsies, which were conducted during the study period1. Data was collected from the records on a pre-designed Performa.

Results: Out of 248 autopsies, firearms deaths comprised of 92 (37%) and the remaining causes of the other unnatural deaths were 155 (63%). Total firearm homicides, firearm suicides and firearm accidental deaths due were 72 (29%), 14 (5.6%) and 7 (2.8%) respectively of the total sample. Age group 18-40 years were effected the most comprising of 39 (16%) of the total sample followed by age group 41-60 years comprising of 19 (7.8%) of the total sample. Firearm male and female deaths were 81 (32%) and 12 (4.8%) respectively. Firearm deaths in urban areas and rural areas were 65 (26.2%) and 21 (8.3%) respectively of the total sample.

Conclusions: Firearms deaths were most common cause of the unnatural deaths out of total unnatural deaths in Rawalpindi and Islamabad. Firearm homicide was the most common manner of death followed by firearm accidental and firearm suicidal deaths.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2020-10-30
How to Cite
Hussain, S., Mustehsan, Z.-H., Syed, S., Zeb, M., Omer, J., & Riaz, R. (2020). PATTERN AND DEMOGRAPHIC OF FIREARM DEATHS IN RAWALPINDI AND ISLAMABAD, AN AUTOPSY BASED STUDY. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal, 70(5), 1413-18. Retrieved from https://pafmj.org/index.php/PAFMJ/article/view/5575
Section
Original Articles