PREVENTION OF HYPOTENTION AFTER SPINAL ANAESTHESIA IN ELECTIVE CAESAREAN SECTIONS

Authors

  • Syed Jawad Rehmani Combined Military Hospital Bahawalpur Pakistan
  • Asjad Sharif Combined Military Hospital Bahawalpur Pakistan
  • Amna Gulrez Combined Military Hospital Bahawalpur Pakistan

Keywords:

Colloid, Crystalloid, Hypotension, Pre-loading

Abstract

Objective: Comparing the efficacy of crystalloid pre-load and co-load on reducing hypotension and improving APGAR score in patients receiving spinal anaesthesia for elective caesarean sections.

Study Design: Randomized controlled study.

Place and Duration of Study: This study was carried out at Combined Military Hospital Bahawalpur, after seeking permission from ethics committee. The data was collected for 06 months from Jan to Jul 2017.

Methodology: Patients with ASA classification 1 and 2, aged 18-40 years were included. Group A received 15ml/kg Hartmann’s solution as preloading solution in 15 minutes before the induction of spinal anaesthesia. Group B received 15ml/kg of Hartmann’s solution as co-loading solution after performing a block in 15min.

Results: This study includes 314 patients (157 in each group). Our study population was slightly predominated by females 170 (54%) as compared to 144 (46%) males. The average Apgar score in both groups were 9.8 ± 0.58 and 9.7 ± 0.436. Out of 314 patients, 169 patients (54%) were ASA I and remaining 46% were ASA II. Overall hypotention was noted in 67 patients (21.3%) of group A and 30 patients (9.6%) of group B. The difference between two groups was statistically significant (p=0.001*). Improving Apgar score was noted in 54 patients (17.2%) of group-A and 117 patients (37.3%) of group-B. The difference between two groups was statistically significant (p=0.001*).

Conclusion: It is concluded that co-load is better than pre-load in reducing hypotension and improving Apgar score in patients receiving spinal anaesthesia for elective caesarean sections.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Metrics

Metrics Loading ...

Downloads

Published

20-08-2020

How to Cite

Rehmani, S. J., Sharif, A., & Gulrez, A. (2020). PREVENTION OF HYPOTENTION AFTER SPINAL ANAESTHESIA IN ELECTIVE CAESAREAN SECTIONS. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal, 70(4), 1034–38. Retrieved from https://pafmj.org/PAFMJ/article/view/5085

Issue

Section

Original Articles

Most read articles by the same author(s)

1 2 > >>