EXPRESSION OF P16 MUTANT PROTEIN AND KI67 IN CUTANEOUS AND NON-CUTANEOUS MELANOMA

  • Farhan Akhtar Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Mohammad Hassan Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Mohammad Ali Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Rabia Ahmed Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Muhammad Asif Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Ghazala Sadaf Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Muhammad Tahir Khadim Armed Forces Institute of Pathology/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
Keywords: Cutaneous, Ki67, Non-cutaneous melanoma, P16 protein

Abstract

Objective: To determine expression of p16 mutant protein and ki67 in cutaneous and non-cutaneous melanoma.

Study Design: Cross sectional study.

Place and Duration of Study: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi, from July 2017 to July 2018.

Methodology: All cases of melanoma diagnosed by histopathological examination were included. P16 and ki67 antibodies for immunohistochemical studies were applied in all cases. Patient’s gender, age, tumor site and results of immunohistochemical (IHC) stains were noted.

Results: A total number of 40 cases of melanoma were studied. It was more common in males 28 (70%) than females 12(30%). Mean age of presentation was 51.1 ± 1.17 years. Most of the patients i.e., 25 (62.5%), were in age group above 50 years, Cutaneous melanoma was the commonest type being 22 (55%), followed by ocular melanoma being 14 (35%) and mucosal melanoma 4 (10%). The immunohistochemical staining for p16 was positive in all cases (100%). Ki67 proliferative index was high in most cases 34 (85%). It was low in the rest of cases being 6 (15%).

Conclusion: Melanoma was found more common in males in the age group above 50 years. Cutaneous melanoma was the most common type. There was strong correlation between p16 and ki67 expression. P16 was seen in all cases. High ki67 was seen in 85% of cases.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2020-04-30
How to Cite
Akhtar, F., Hassan, M., Ali, M., Ahmed, R., Asif, M., Sadaf, G., & Khadim, M. (2020). EXPRESSION OF P16 MUTANT PROTEIN AND KI67 IN CUTANEOUS AND NON-CUTANEOUS MELANOMA. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal, 70(2), 313-17. Retrieved from https://pafmj.org/index.php/PAFMJ/article/view/4181
Section
Original Articles

Most read articles by the same author(s)