Anesthetic Efficacy of Intraligamentary Injection Techniques on Mandibular Posterior Teeth Diagnosed with Asymptomatic Irreversible Pulpitis

  • Avinash . Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan
  • Abu Bakar Sheikh Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan
  • Saqib Rashid Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan
  • Muhammad Ali Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan
  • Kishwer Naz Siddiqui Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan
  • Fauzia Mujeeb Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan
Keywords: Anesthesia, Asymptomatic irreversible pulpitis, Efficacy, Intraligamentary injection, Inferior alveolar nerve block

Abstract

Objective: To compare the effectiveness of Intraligamentary Injection with the IANB injection technique for root canal treatment of mandibular molars and premolars in patients with asymptomatic irreversible pulpitis undergoing access opening.

Study Design: Quasi-experimental study.

Place and Duration of Study: Operative Dentistry Department, Fatima Jinnah Dental College Karachi Pakistan, from Nov 2018 to Apr 2019.

Methodology: The study was conducted on 80 patients. Visual analogue scale was used to determine the level of pain. Three groups were made depending on the effectiveness of anaesthesia at 2-sites (Group-A), 4-site (Group-B) and failure of Intraligamentary injection (Group-C). Anaesthesia was successful when the patient revealed no pain symptoms during access opening.

Results: A total of 80 cases were evaluated, out of which 47 were males (58.70%), and 33 were females (41.30%). The most common age groups recorded in our study were 18 – 25 years (33.75%) and 36- 45 years (33.75%). According to our results, the Intra-ligamentary technique was successful in 23(28.75%) cases. The remaining 57(71.25%) cases which received anaesthesia via IANB showed a 100.00% success rate with profound anaesthesia.

Conclusion: Inferior alveolar nerve block was more successful compared to Intraligamentary injections for providing profound anaesthesia to mandibular posterior teeth previously diagnosed with asymptomatic irreversible pulpitis and under-going the procedure of access opening.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biographies

Abu Bakar Sheikh, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan

Professor - Operative Dentistry, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi.

Kishwer Naz Siddiqui, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan

Senior Registrar - Operative Dentistry, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi.

Fauzia Mujeeb, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi Pakistan

Associate Professor - Operative Dentistry, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi.

Published
2022-10-30
How to Cite
., A., Sheikh, A., Rashid, S., Ali, M., Siddiqui, K., & Mujeeb, F. (2022). Anesthetic Efficacy of Intraligamentary Injection Techniques on Mandibular Posterior Teeth Diagnosed with Asymptomatic Irreversible Pulpitis. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal, 72(5), 1550-54. https://doi.org/10.51253/pafmj.v72i5.4005
Section
Original Articles