TO MEASURE THE FREQUENCY OF GESTATIONAL DIABETES MELLITUS IN PATIENTS WITH RAISED SERUM URIC ACID LEVEL IN FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY

  • Amna Ismail Pak Emirates Military Hospital/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Nabila Amin Pak Emirates Military Hospital/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
  • Shehla Baqai Pak Emirates Military Hospital/National University of Medical Sciences (NUMS) Rawalpindi Pakistan
Keywords: Frequency, Gestational diabetes, Hyperuricemia, Low birth weight

Abstract

Objective: To determine the frequency of gestational diabetes mellitus in pregnant patients having increased serum uric acid level in first trimester of pregnancy.

Study Design: Descriptive case series study.

Place and Duration of Study: This study was conducted at Pak Emirates Military Hospital Rawalpindi for a period of 6 month, from Jul 2015 to Jan 2016.

Material and Methods: All 140 pregnant women in their first trimester with increased serum uric acid level (cut off value >4mg/dl) were included in the study according to inclusion criteria (antenatal women with gestational amenorrhea of less than 13 weeks, age 20 to 40 year, parity 0 to 8) and exclusion criteria (pregestational diabetes, hypertension, renal disease, liver disease, multiple gestations, gout, drugs which increases uric acid excretion, past history of gestational diabetes mellitus, history of good size baby in previous pregnancies). Sampled patients were followed up in OPD, at 24 weeks of gestation, 75g OGTT was performed to diagnose GDM with cut off value: fasting blood sugar level of >92 mg/dl, 1 hour after breakfast >180mg/dl, 2 hours after breakfast >155mg/ dl. Sampling technique was no probability consecutive sampling.

Results: Frequency and percentage was observed for two groups (presence or absence) of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). Eighty one patients (57.9%) had positive (yes) gestational diabetes mellitus, while remaining 59 patients (42.1%) had Negative (no) gestational diabetes mellitus. Gestational diabetes mellitus has the prevalence rate between 50-51% among population with high serum uric acid. To determine the frequency of GDM in the population having high serum uric level, we applied one sample t test (one sided test). The hypothesis of our one sample test was H0: P≤P0, H1: P>P0 where p0 was anticipated population proportion. We find that the prevalence rate of GDM in the population having high serum uric acid is between 50-51%.

Conclusion: It is suggested that levels of uric acids in serum must be monitored routinely during first antenatal care visit. Uric acid levels in serum should be monitored routinely during the first antenatal care visit. Frequency of GDM is also linked with higher number of parity.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2019-06-25
How to Cite
Ismail, A., Amin, N., & Baqai, S. (2019). TO MEASURE THE FREQUENCY OF GESTATIONAL DIABETES MELLITUS IN PATIENTS WITH RAISED SERUM URIC ACID LEVEL IN FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY. PAFMJ, 69(3), 545-48. Retrieved from https://pafmj.org/index.php/PAFMJ/article/view/3024
Section
Original Articles