PAKISTAN ARMED FORCES
MEDICAL JOURNAL (Category Y)

A Journal of Army Medical & Dental Corps

Being published since 1956

ISSN (online) 2411-8842
ISSN (print) 0030-9648

VOL 68, No. 5, OCTOBER 2018

EPIDEMIOLOGICAL PROFILE OF CHILDREN WITH ACUTE RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS IN PEDIATRICS OUTPATIENT DEPARTMENT IN SECONDARY CARE HOSPITAL OF TANDO MUHAMMAD KHAN, SINDH, PAKISTAN

Nusrat Nisar, Fahad Ahmed Memon, Nudrat Zeba, Adil Ali Shaikh*

Abstract

Objective: To determine the epidemiological profile of children with acute respiratory infections from 1 month to 1 year of age attending the pediatric out patient department (OPD) of secondary care hospital in TMK, Sindh   and determine the frequency of treatment methods used by mothers when encountered with acute respiratory infection in children. 
Study Design: A cross-sectional study.
Place and Duration of Study: Pediatrics outpatient department, Taluka Headquarter Hospital District Tando Muhammad Khan (TMK), Sindh Pakistan, from Jul to Sep 2017.
Material and Methods: During the study period of three months about 230 children from 1 month to 14 years of age were sampled through non-probability convenient sampling technique according to the set criteria and structured pro-forma was administered to their mothers to gather the required information. The proforma was pre-tested in the similar setting at THQ hospital, Kotri before its administration at the study setting. The findings of questionnaire were analyzed in SPSS version 22.
Results: Out of 230 patients 53% (n =121) were males and 47% (n = 109) were females. The age group maximally affected was 5-14 years which were almost 47.9% (n=110) and the other age groups contributed to the remaining part of the patients that is 52.1% (n=120). Most of the patients belong to the lower class and lower middle class that approximately comprised 75% (n=170) of the patients and the remaining 25% (n=60) comprised of poor patients. Approximately 95% (n=218) of mothers were preferring medical practitioners for treatment with 5% (n= 12) going in favor of local remedies. 
Conclusion: Our study revealed that age group of 5-14 years is mostly the victims of the disease with male predominance as compared to females in this part of the world. Poor socioeconomic status seems to have no effect on occurrence of ARI. Future research is needed in this area to further enhance the study findings. 

Keywords : Acute Respiratory, Frequency, Infections, Secondary care hospital.



Creative Commons License
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License Creative Commons Attribution License , which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.